Vanilla Salted Caramels
- ¾ cup (200ml) water
- 2 ½ cups (500g) white cane sugar
- 1 tbsp Beyond Good Pure Vanilla Extract
- 14 fl oz (397g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (330g) corn syrup
- ⅓ cup (100g) maple syrup
- 1 ¼ sticks (150g) salted butter
- Grease and line a deep 11-inch square baking tin with parchment paper. Combine the water, sugar, vanilla and condensed milk in a large, heavy-based saucepan.
- Slowly bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Add the corn syrup and maple syrup and continue cooking over medium heat while stirring until the mixture reaches 230°F. If you don’t have a sugar thermometer test the mixture by drizzling a small amount of the sugar syrup from a spoon into a cup of cold water - the syrup will form fine threads instead of dissolving away in the water instantly.
- Add the butter and cook until 245°F or until the syrup forms a firm ball when dropped into a cup of cool water.
- Immediately pour the mixture into the prepared tin and allow to cool completely.
- Cut the toffee into rectangles.
- Store in an airtight container, in a cool place (not the fridge) for up to two weeks.