Smoky, Sticky and Sweet Vanilla Brisket
Vanilla Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1-2 tbsp Beyond Good Madagascar Pure Ground Vanilla
- 60ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 50g honey
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 2 tsp mustard
- 2 tbsp bourbon whiskey
- ½ -1 tsp liquid smoke
- 2.5kg boned and rolled beef brisket
- 2 leeks
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- Handful thyme sprigs
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1.5l water
- 250ml (1 cup) apple cider vinegar
- 250ml (1 cup) Vanilla Bourbon BBQ sauce
The subtle sweetness and warm, floral notes of vanilla can add depth and complexity to the rich, savory flavor of beef brisket.
Preheat the oven to 320°F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the paprika, vanilla, apple cider vinegar, tomato paste, honey, sugar and mustard.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and add in the bourbon and liquid smoke. Stir to combine and set aside to cool.
- Place the brisket, in a large roasting pan. Add in the leeks, bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns, water, vinegar and BBQ sauce.
- Cover with aluminium foil and roast for 4 hours or until fork-tender. Strain out the liquid from the pan and reserve, discard the solids.
- Place the drippings in a large pot over medium-high heat and cook until reduced.
- Place the brisket back in the pan and baste with the remaining BBQ sauce. Increase the oven temperature to 390°F and roast until caramelised, approximately 20 minutes.
- Set aside for 10 minutes before carving. Serve.