Shrimp Coconut and Vanilla Bean Curry
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 medium green hot chilies, thinly sliced
- 10 fresh curry leaves
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp Beyond Good pure ground vanilla
- 2 cups fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 (14 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz) can of coconut milk
- 1 lb large shrimp, unpeeled and cleaned
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Substitute the shrimp with roasted root vegetables, cauliflower, or chickpeas for a vegetarian or vegan version.
Makes 4 Servings
- To prepare the curry, place a large sauté pan fitted with a lid over medium heat, add the butter, and melt.
- Add the sliced garlic, chopped ginger, sliced green chilies, curry leaves, cinnamon stick, pure ground vanilla, and chopped cilantro, and fry, stirring often, for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the cumin seeds and curry powder, cook, stirring, for another two minutes, then add the canned tomatoes, coconut milk, lime zest and juice, and salt.
- Add the shrimp, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the shrimp turns opaque.
- Serve warm with rice or flatbread.